Sunday 9 July 2017

Rewind / / Radio One's Big Weekend, Hull


I can't quite believe it's July already. At risk of sounding clichéd, time has flown by, and it feels like just yesterday I was typing out some goals for 2017 in the notes section of my phone (because I'm such a millennial). The start of the year was pretty challenging for me; things were up in the air on a personal level, I had left the security blanket of school and started university, and I lost connection with people I used to be close to. However, as time went on, things started to fall into place, and I can now look back on the more difficult moments and see how I am in a much better position now. The discomfort was worth it. Sometimes things need to shift in order to make room for new moments, experiences and amazing people!

One of my main aspirations for the year was to play more shows with my band, Brand New Friend. This is something that we have definitely achieved, and to accomplish this alongside three amazing people has been so fulfilling! So far our music has taken us on a mini tour of Ireland to Galway, Limerick and Dublin and we have played in Whelan's supporting our one of our favourite bands The Winter Passing (who have since become great friends!). We sold out our headline show in Katy's Bar, Limelight, supported The Smith Street Band in Fibber's, played Sea Sessions festival in Bundoran, and had an amazing summer street party in Portstewart for the Dubai Duty Free Irish Open. However, the biggest achievement so far has been playing the BBC Introducing Stage at Radio 1's Big Weekend! This was something that I had always wanted to do, ever since watching Paramore from the barrier at Big Weekend in 2013. I am so proud to have been able to play such an amazing festival, especially alongside the three best lads.


Our journey started on 27th May as we boarded the ferry from Belfast to Liverpool. We spent the eight hour crossing playing card games and then drove to Hull squished into my mum's car with amps and guitars on our laps! I absolutely love travelling and it definitely gave me a taste of touring. To tour the UK or Ireland is definitely my next big goal for our band! We arrived at our hotel exhausted and basically went straight to sleep, getting ready for show the next morning.

On gig day, I got ready in a flash, as I just couldn't wait to leave the hotel and arrive at Big Weekend! My usual stage look is something pretty low maintenance (although the guys would probably disagree and say I take ages to get ready) as being free to move and jump around is probably the most important factor for me. I went with a vintage tie dye tee, black Topshop Jamie jeans and a pair of Vans Old Skools. We had breakfast, piled in the car and after a few diversions through the countryside, we eventually made it to the festival site.


Our first port of call was the backstage tent, meeting the crew and the Introducing team who were all absolutely lovely and couldn't have been more helpful. As you walk in, each wall of the tent has spaces for each band to sign, and it was amazing seeing messages from other bands who have graced the Introducing stages of Big Weekend, Reading and Leeds, T in the Park and Glasto! There were so many fantastic acts on the stage this year, and my favourites were probably Declan McKenna, Pale Waves, The Big Moon and Mullally.


Before our set we had time to catch a few acts, and my personal highlights were definitely Little Mix and Stormzy! At 1pm we had to head back to Introducing, and the nerves were starting to kick in. When I walked on stage, I tried to just let go of everything and enjoy the experience, and it was something I will honestly never forget!


The whole weekend was a bit of a blur, and reflecting on it now is definitely motivating me to continue pushing forward. Playing in this band is my favourite thing in the world, and I am so proud to stand on stage with Luke, Aaron and Taylor! Later this summer we are playing Stendhal Festival, Moira Calling and Electric Picnic, and I can't wait to do it all again.


After our set we had the quintessential festival experience minus the camping, including greasy food from chip vans, a go on the ferris wheel overlooking the whole site, and got to see Royal Blood, Twin Atlantic and Kings of Leon.


 It wouldn't have been possible without my dad, (van driver and basically our tour manager) Logan, (little brother and future drum tech) and the amazing people at BBC Radio Ulster and BBC Introducing!

You can find Brand New Friend here / /
Bandcamp
Spotify
Facebook
Twitter

No comments:

Post a Comment